TONQUA, TEXAS. Tonqua was on Tonqua Creek eight miles southeast of Yoakum in eastern DeWitt County,, near the Lavaca county line. The Charles Bradley family first settled the area in 1846, and in July 1878 they donated land for a school. The Tonqua school, named for the Tonkawa Indians, became the community center; Baptist services were also held there. The school operated until 1944. By 1962 only Cook-Holland Cemetery marked the area.
Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Nellie Murphree, "TONQUA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvt44), accessed January 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.