TOWNS' MILL, TX
TOWNS' MILL, TEXAS. Towns' Mill was an early settlement on the east bank of the San Gabriel River in central Williamson County, a short distance from the site of present Weir. The community was named for James Frances Towns, who built a flour mill there in 1870, and was also known as Townsville, Excelsior Mill, Buffalo Springs, and Prairie Springs. In 1875 area residents established the Buffalo Springs Baptist Church near a series of springs that had earlier attracted buffalo. In the 1890s the town had a store, a blacksmith shop, and a cotton gin, and it prospered until the Georgetown and Granger Railroad bypassed it at the turn of the century. A Townsville post office operated from 1895 until 1903, when it was moved to Weir. The town declined further after a 1913 flood destroyed the mill, and by 1948 Towns' Mill had ceased to exist as a recognized community.
Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Clara Stearns Scarbrough, "TOWNS' MILL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvt55), accessed July 31, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.