TROTTI, TEXAS. Trotti, also known as Old Trotti, Trottie, and (after the gold-bearing Alaskan valley) Klondike, was a logging camp ten miles southeast of Newton, in Newton County. E. D. Downs, Thomas J. Trotti, and Ed Ellingston established the camp in 1898. The logging effort at Trotti was part of a massive expansion of the East Texas lumber industry around the turn of the twentieth century. Trotti was connected by a tram line with the mills at Call, Texas, and was therefore one of the first logging camps in the region with a locomotive to assist its operations. The camp had a peak population of about 700. The Kirby Lumber Company acquired the site in 1901, and the following year "Trottie" was listed as a post village. The location was abandoned when logging operations moved elsewhere in 1906.
Newton County Historical Commission, Glimpses of Newton County History (Burnet, Texas: Nortex, 1982). Miriam Partlow, Liberty, Liberty County, and the Atascosito District (Austin: Pemberton, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "TROTTI, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvt61), accessed October 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.