TRUMAN, TEXAS. A community in east Dallas County, earlier known as Thin Gravy, Deanville, North Mesquite, or Mesquite Tap, received national prominence in 1945 when its 200 residents voted to adopt the name of new president Harry S. Truman. On November 21, 1945, a sign on U.S. Highway 80 was christened with a bottle of milk, and a letter of congratulations from President Truman was read. The Truman community was absorbed by neighboring Mesquite in the 1950s.
A Stake in the Prairie: Mesquite, Texas (Mesquite Historical Committee, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Susanne Starling, "TRUMAN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvt75), accessed August 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.