TIMMS CITY, TX
TIMMS CITY, TEXAS. Timms City was four miles southwest of the site of present Darrouzett in northern Lipscomb County. It was begun in 1887 and was one of two towns competing with Lipscomb to become county seat. It was named for George Timms, a Kansas financier who backed the community. Soon, Timms City had a hotel, several saloons, a post office, a newspaper (the Texas Tribune), and various other businesses. However, the election of Lipscomb as the permanent county seat quickly led to the town's demise. One county businessman, H. E. Hoover, described it as "one year growing and four years dying." By the time the Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway pushed through this portion of the county in 1919, Timms City had disappeared.
A History of Lipscomb County, Texas, 1876–1976 (Lipscomb, Texas: Lipscomb County Historical Survey Committee, 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.H. Allen Anderson, "TIMMS CITY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvt76), accessed June 19, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.