TRUE, TEXAS. True, originally called Liberty, was a mile east of State Highway 251 and six miles north of Newcastle in north central Young County. The town was platted by George Terrell in 1877. Free homesites were offered to potential settlers, and the settlement grew to include a store, a blacksmith shop, and several homes. A post office was granted in 1894 after the town agreed to change its name, which duplicated that of an earlier settlement in Liberty County. When the Wichita Falls and Southern Railway reached the area around 1910, however, most of the inhabitants moved to the nearby station of Orth. The post office was officially discontinued in 1912. Only the cemetery remained on county maps of the 1980s.
Carrie J. Crouch, Young County: History and Biography (Dallas: Dealey and Love, 1937; rev. ed., A History of Young County, Texas, Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1956).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "TRUE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvt82), accessed March 03, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.