VANETIA, TEXAS. Vanetia (Venetia) was a farming community on Farm Road 3 nineteen miles west of Centerville and seven miles south of Marquez in central western Leon County. It had a post office from 1892 to 1904. In 1896 the community reported a population of twenty-five, a general store, a blacksmith, a physician, a cotton gin, a gristmill, and Baptist and Methodist churches. It had two schools for white children and one school for black children in 1907; at that time the total enrollment was ninety-four. In 1948 the town included a school, two churches, a business, and several scattered dwellings, and by the 1960s it had two churches and a cemetery. The community was still shown on the 1989 county highway map.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Maria Elena Kruger, "VANETIA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvv04), accessed September 02, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.