VERHELLE, TEXAS. Verhelle is located in south central DeWitt County on Irish Creek and U.S. Highway 87, seven miles southeast of Cuero. Arthur Burns and his son Columbus were the pioneer settlers of Irish Creek Settlement, the earliest community in present DeWitt County, in 1826. On their headright league near the east bank of the Guadalupe River south of Irish Creek they built a two-story log house, which was the first residence established between Gonzales and Guadalupe Victoria, the principal towns in DeWitt's Colony and De León's Colony, respectively. It was designated as a place of refuge during Indian trouble. The settlement attracted pioneers who established a Methodist church in 1853. It was served by a post office from 1851 to 1854 and by the Victoria-Gonzales stage, which changed horses at Irish Creek. Burns operated the first water-powered gristmill at Irish Creek until a flood destroyed it in 1869. A wind gristmill was then built. By 1868 the town had a population of 150, the church, a school, three stores, the gristmill, and a blacksmith shop. In 1872, when the Gulf, Western Texas and Pacific Railway was built through the area, a depot was located at Irish Creek and named Burns Station. Burns Station church, established in 1873, was descended from the original Irish Creek Settlement Methodist Church. Burns Station did not maintain prosperity, however. A post office operated from 1873 to 1877, and by 1895 only Burns Station Cemetery remained. About 1902 the name was changed to Verhelle for a railroad official. Many disapproved of this change, since Burns was a pioneer settler, and Eugene Verhelle never lived in the area. In 1985 the site was occupied by Verhelle oilfield, Verhelle railroad whistle post, and Burns Station Cemetery on Irish Creek.
Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Nellie Murphree, "VERHELLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvv10), accessed January 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.