VILLAGE CREEK, TX
VILLAGE CREEK, TEXAS. Village Creek was a rural community on Village Creek six miles from Fort Worth in east central Tarrant County. The settlement was named for several Indian villages on the creek that had been destroyed by Texas Rangersqv in the early 1840s. Village Creek began to decline after the Texas and Pacific bypassed it and arrived instead at the nearby community of Handley in 1876. The Village Creek community, however, maintained a public school, which in the 1896–97 school year had an enrollment of fifty-seven and employed one teacher. Until 1968 a local elementary school continued to retain the name of the old community, which is now a part of the Fort Worth metropolitan area.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "VILLAGE CREEK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvv16), accessed March 08, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.