VOLGA, TEXAS. Volga was three miles north of Weldon and twenty miles south of Crockett in southern Houston County. A Volga post office was established in 1897 with J. A. Siddon as postmaster and discontinued in 1917. The first population record of Volga dates from 1914, when the community had 100 residents and a telephone connection, four general stores, and a cotton gin. In 1936 and 1945 Volga had one business and a population of twenty-five; a church was reported in the latter year. The Volga school was eventually combined with the Lovelady Independent School District.
Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687–1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mike Smalley, "VOLGA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvv24), accessed March 10, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.