WALLIS RANCH, TX
WALLIS RANCH, TEXAS. Wallis Ranch was organized as a school community in eastern DeWitt County on land bought by John and John Wesley Wallis and was originally located on the John Wallis ranch. The school, important for its relatively early establishment in the county's historical development, began operation in 1886. In 1906 it was moved to the John Wesley Wallis ranch; it was moved again in 1910, when a two-room building was constructed 5½ miles southwest of Westhoff, where it operated until 1950. Since at least 1960 Wallis Ranch has ceased to be a designated place name on county highway maps.
Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Nellie Murphree, "WALLIS RANCH, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvw06), accessed April 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.