WATT, TEXAS. Watt is on U.S. Highway 84 twenty-two miles west of Mexia in northwestern Limestone County. A post office opened there in 1898 with Walter Lee Taylor as postmaster; it was discontinued in 1906, and mail for the community was sent to Mount Calm in Hill County. The population of Watt was listed as fifteen in the early 1930s, but it rose to sixty by the 1940s. A church, a school, three businesses, and several scattered houses marked the community on county highway maps in the late 1940s. The Watt school was consolidated with the Axtell Rural High School District of McLennan County in 1953. Only one business appeared on maps of the area in the 1980s.
John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "WATT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvw19), accessed April 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.