WEALTHY, TEXAS. Wealthy is on Farm Road 3 twenty-one miles southwest of Centerville and five miles west of Normangee in southwestern Leon County. The post office operated from 1894 until 1914. According to one source, the town was originally named Poor, but when it applied for a post office the name was rejected. The name Wealthy was substituted and the application accepted. In 1896 Wealthy reported a population high of ninety. The community had a Baptist church, a barbershop, a jeweler, two gristmills and gins, sorghum manufacturers, a school, a general store, and a blacksmith. In 1907 there was one school. By 1914 Wealthy had a population of twenty-five, a general store, and a telephone connection. In 1948 it had a church, a school, and several scattered dwellings. In 1990 a cemetery and Mount Zion church were located northeast of Wealthy.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Maria Elena Kruger, "WEALTHY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvw24), accessed December 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.