WENASCO, TEXAS. Wenasco, five miles north of Jasper in northern Jasper County, was established in 1915 and derived its name from the initial letters of the Western Naval Stores Company, for which it was a turpentine camp. The camp had a distillery, three side camps that tended 100 boxes of turpentine, 300 employees, and a population of 500. In 1919 all installations were removed and the site abandoned. A post office, established in 1916, was discontinued in 1920.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "WENASCO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvw30), accessed June 19, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.