WHITEFLAT, TX (NOLAN COUNTY)
WHITEFLAT, TEXAS (Nolan County). Whiteflat was a rural community located on Interstate Highway 20 fourteen miles east of Sweetwater in northeastern Nolan County. It was established between 1885 and 1890 by homesteaders, who named it Whiteflat because the long grass growing on the flat land appeared to turn white at dusk. In the early part of the 1900s eighty to eighty-five families lived at Whiteflat. The Elm Creek School District was established in the area in 1900 and had three schools by 1908. The three schools combined into one school, Whiteflat School, by 1916. In 1926 as many as 120 students, both white and black, attended Whiteflat School. The schools also served as places for worship, voting, and parties. In 1936 the old Whiteflat School was torn down and a more modern building was constructed about 100 feet from the original school. This building was used until 1949, when the school consolidated with the Trent Independent School District. By the mid-1980s the site of the town was no longer inhabited.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Bunnie Johnson and Anthony T. Williams, Sr., "WHITEFLAT, TX (NOLAN COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvw43), accessed July 31, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.