WOFFORD, TEXAS. Wofford is located five miles southwest of Athens on the west side of a branch of Walnut Creek in central Henderson County. The town was settled by the Wofford family of Athens in the 1860s. It was named for B. W. J. (Bill) Wofford, a businessman and Confederate soldier. In 1936 there were scattered residents and small businesses in the area, although Wofford was not shown on highway maps.
J. J. Faulk, History of Henderson County (Athens, Texas: Athens Review Printing, 1929). Men of Affairs of Henderson County, Texas, 1927 (Athens, Texas: Athens Daily Review, 1927).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Amy M. Reif, "WOFFORD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvw62), accessed October 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.