WHITE SWAN, TX
WHITE SWAN, TEXAS. White Swan was a farming community in eastern Tom Green County in the late 1890s and early 1900s. A Southern Methodist congregation was organized in 1891, and in 1896 Clara C. and James F. Starr donated land for a school. In 1901 the Starrs donated land for a church building, and three years later they gave more land for a church cemetery, but there are no records of any burials. The school was reportedly named for the white swans in Lipan Creek; it was located on the north side of what is now Jones Road, just east of Lipan Creek. The church was built on the east side of the school. In 1906 the church moved twelve miles west, and in 1907 the school was moved to Vancourt. With the loss of the church and school, residents of White Swan moved to Hess, Averitt, and Vancourt.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Betty Jane Smith, "WHITE SWAN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvw88), accessed June 19, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.