WURSTEN, TEXAS. Wursten was an unincorporated rural community on the Columbus-San Antonio stage road three miles northwest of the site of Schulenburg in southern Fayette County. It was established by German immigrants in the late 1840s on land originally granted to E. Anderson in 1831 and had a physician, two blacksmith shops, and eight other businesses, including a brewery. In 1858 the name High Hill was given to the combined communities of Wursten, Blum Hill, and Oldenburg.
Jane Knapik, Schulenberg: 100 Years on the Road, 1873–1973 (Yoakum?, Texas: Nortex, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Jeff Carroll, "WURSTEN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvw93), accessed March 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.