ZEDLAR'S MILLS, TX
ZEDLAR'S MILLS, TEXAS. Zedlar's Mills (Zedlar's Mill) was a Gonzales County community twenty miles southwest of the town of Gonzales. Little is known regarding early settlement, but the town was probably established in the 1860s as it had a post office by 1873. In 1884 the community had a gristmill, a corn mill, a cotton gin, semi-weekly mail service, and a population of twenty-five. At that time Lucius N. Halbert was postmaster, express agent, and operator of the only general store. Cotton appears to have been the mainstay of the local economy. In 1888 the post office closed, and mail was routed through Rancho. Afterward the number of inhabitants declined, population figures became unavailable, and by 1936 no trace of the community appeared on county road maps.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Stephen L. Hardin, "ZEDLAR'S MILLS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvz15), accessed July 31, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.