BEAR CREEK, TX (DEWITT COUNTY)
BEAR CREEK, TEXAS (DeWitt County). Bear Creek was on Bear Creek and Farm Road 682 eleven miles southeast of Yoakum in southeastern DeWitt County. The community center was the Bear Creek school, organized when the Terryville school was moved there in 1887 and consolidated with the Hebron school. The Bear Creek school closed in 1935 when its students were transferred to Yoakum. The Bear Creek community shared the Hebron church and cemetery and one business. By 1962 only the church and cemetery marked the area. No post office existed for the settlement, and population figures are unavailable.
Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Craig H. Roell, "BEAR CREEK, TX (DEWITT COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hwb01), accessed May 23, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.