LONG POINT, TX
LONG POINT, TEXAS. Long Point is a rail stop in Fort Bend County twenty-four miles southeast of Richmond at the intersection of Farm roads 1994 and 361. It was reportedly named by early settlers for the point of timber extending out into the prairie at the site. In 1936 the settlement had a rural school, a sulfur mine, and a row of dwellings and was served by a metal-surfaced road and the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe railroad. The community never had a post office; in 1947 mail was received through Needville. The Long Point oilfield just east of the community was in operation in 1936 and was still active in as recently as 1987. Although Long Point was listed on county maps in 1987, no population figures are available for any time in the community's history.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Stephen L. Hardin, "LONG POINT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hwl01), accessed March 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.