TENEHAW MUNICIPALITY. Tenehaw (Tenaja, Tenaha, Teneha) District, part of Nacogdoches Municipality in 1833, became Tenehaw Municipality in 1835, with Nashville (now Shelbyville) as the seat of government. On January 11, 1836, the name of the municipality was changed to Shelby.
R. L. Batts, "Defunct Counties of Texas," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 1 (October 1897). Harold Schoen, comp., Monuments Erected by the State of Texas to Commemorate the Centenary of Texas Independence (Austin: Commission of Control for Texas Centennial Celebrations, 1938).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."TENEHAW MUNICIPALITY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hzt01), accessed August 27, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.