AUSTIN SCHOOL OF THEOLOGY
AUSTIN SCHOOL OF THEOLOGY. The Austin School of Theology, an institution in Austin for training Presbyterian ministers, was founded by Richmond Kelly Smoot, pastor of the Southern Presbyterian Church in Austin, and Robert L. Dabney. Smoot began using his study as a classroom for one student in 1882. In 1884 Dabney joined him in teaching, and they used the basement of the Presbyterian church for classes until a small building was constructed to house the college. When the institution ceased operation in 1895 it had trained forty-four ministers. The school's assets were turned over to the Synod of Texas and subsequently utilized by the Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary.
William Angus McLeod, Story of the First Southern Presbyterian Church, Austin, Texas (Austin, 1939?). William Stuart Red, A History of the Presbyterian Church in Texas (Austin: Steck, 1936).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William A. McLeod, "AUSTIN SCHOOL OF THEOLOGY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/iwa03), accessed April 17, 2014. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.