SOUTHWESTERN LAW JOURNAL
SOUTHWESTERN LAW JOURNAL. The Southwestern Law Journal was originally the Texas Law and Legislation, a biannual review devoted to Texas legal developments. It was founded by the faculty of the School of Law of Southern Methodist University in 1947. With the second volume the name was changed to Southwestern Law Journal; it became a quarterly with the third volume. Volume 2 carried the first annual survey of Texas law, expanded to cover important developments in neighboring states. After Volume 9, these annual surveys of Texas law were abandoned; they were reinitiated in 1967, with a full additional fifth issue devoted to this purpose. The format of the journal was substantially expanded in 1957. In 1990 the journal was renamed the SMU Law Review. It, along with the Journal of Air Law and Commerce, is published by the SMU Law Review Association, a nonprofit corporation. Though subject to faculty supervision, the journal is controlled and edited by a board of student editors annually elected from the staff. The staff is selected on the basis of grades and an essay competition at the end of their first year. The journal is financed by law school funds and by subscribers who numbered 1,000 in 1994.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Joseph W. McKnight, "SOUTHWESTERN LAW JOURNAL," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/jos01), accessed December 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.