TEXAS LAW REVIEW [1922-]
TEXAS LAW REVIEW [1922–]. The second Texas Law Review serves as a forum for legal scholarship at the School of Law of the University of Texas at Austin, publishing works by law professors, practitioners, and students. On November 6, 1922, the journal was organized as a nonprofit corporation, with an initial capital of $25,000, for the purpose of publishing a magazine of interest and benefit to the legal profession. Original subscriptions were obtained by purchase of stock in the corporation. The first issue was for December 1922. The magazine was issued six times a year thereafter until 1950, when it began to be issued seven times yearly. The Texas Law Review consists principally of legal articles and essays, student notes, and book reviews. Circulation stood at 2,000 in 1994, and the publication remains among the most widely quoted legal journals in the nation. Former editors have become judges, legal scholars, and practicing lawyers, both in Texas and elsewhere. Between forty-five and fifty-five law students at the university are invited to become members of the Review at the end of their first year in law school. Seventeen law students are then selected at the end of their second year to serve on the board of editors. Ten to sixteen additional students may qualify as associate editors. Editors receive a small stipend. In 1965 the Texas Law Review Association was organized; by 1994 it comprised 1,900 former editors of the Review. The association met in Austin each spring at the time of the annual Texas Law Review banquet. The purpose of the association, other than social, was to provide financial assistance to the Review. The editors of the journal also report to the association's board of directors.
C. D. Simmons, A System of Accounts for the Texas Law Review (M.B.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1923).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."TEXAS LAW REVIEW [1922-]," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/jot02), accessed December 09, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.