BAY VIEW COLLEGE
BAY VIEW COLLEGE. Bay View College, in Portland, San Patricio County, was founded in 1893 by Alice and Thomas M. Clark, members of the family that established Texas Christian University (then called Add-Ran College) in Thorp Springs. The Clarks took over a vacant twenty-room hotel in Portland, built during a land boom that fizzled. During the first two years of operation students from the public school system in Portland attended the college, a move approved by the local school board to help the college get started. The state granted a charter in 1897 authorizing the school to grant degrees. As the institution grew, additional buildings were built–dormitories for boys and girls, a chapel, a gymnasium, and a number of utility buildings. In 1903 tuition and board were listed at fifteen dollars a month. At its peak the college had 164 boarding students enrolled from twenty-two Texas counties. Over 2,000 students went through the school in its twenty-three years of operation. The chapel was used by the community for church services and as a meeting place for community events. Enrollment declined as public schools in Texas began to fill educational needs. The school was closed after the storm of 1916 seriously damaged the college buildings (see HURRICANES).
Cecil Eugene Evans, The Story of Texas Schools (Austin: Steck, 1955). Keith Guthrie, History of San Patricio County (Austin: Nortex, 1986). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Keith Guthrie, "BAY VIEW COLLEGE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbb03), accessed May 19, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.