BLANCO MASONIC UNIVERSITY
BLANCO MASONIC UNIVERSITY. Blanco Masonic University was planned at Blanco in December 1874, when a board of directors was elected, a building committee was appointed, and funds were solicited for the school. In February 1875 officials drew plans for the building, petitioned the Texas legislature for a grant of land, and had stone quarried for the building. But evidently sufficient funds were not raised, for in 1883 the university stock was transferred to another project, Blanco Masonic High School. R. C. Traweek donated a lot for the building site for this institution, G. A. Horlee donated land to be sold for building money, and two teachers were employed. In September 1884 one wing of the building had been completed when the plans were abandoned and the directors decided to merge the Masonic High School with the Blanco public school. The new school opened as a graded high school; it graduated its first class in 1887. It continued to function at least through 1893.
Blanco Masonic University and High School Papers, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."BLANCO MASONIC UNIVERSITY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbb12), accessed June 02, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.