BURLESON FEMALE INSTITUTE
BURLESON FEMALE INSTITUTE. Burleson Female Institute, sponsored by Baptist congregations, was conducted in the old State Capitol in Austin by Richard B. Burleson, pastor of the Austin Baptist Church. The school operated only from February to December 1856, when Burleson was elected to the faculty of Baylor University.
William Franklin Ledlow, History of Protestant Education in Texas (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1926). Willie Madora Long, Education in Austin Before the Public Schools (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1952). Carl Bassett Wilson, History of Baptist Educational Efforts in Texas, 1829–1900 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1934).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Claudia Hazlewood, "BURLESON FEMALE INSTITUTE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbb21), accessed May 24, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.