Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

CENTRAL PLAINS COLLEGE AND CONSERVATORY OF MUSIC

CENTRAL PLAINS COLLEGE AND CONSERVATORY OF MUSIC. Central Plains College, the first junior college in Plainview, was established in 1907 as Central Plains Holiness College on land given by Ferd Falkner. Although the school was intended to serve students from the Nazarene Church, L. L. Gladney of Mississippi, the first president, persuaded the governing board to accept students of other denominations. The college was renamed Central Plains College and Conservatory of Music, before opening on September 18, 1907. In the first year some 159 students enrolled. The institution was coeducational but stressed military training. Students wore blue uniforms and kept strict schedules. Classes were taught from grade school through college; tuition ranged from $35 dollars a term for grades one through eight to $150 for nine months of college. Campus facilities included a three-story main building, two three-story dormitories, and a smaller music building. The college was set up to be self-sufficient and thus maintained a laundry and several barns and stables.

By 1910 the campus had grown to about fifty acres. College classes included music, business, theology, liberal arts, and dressmaking. The enrollment was estimated at 152 in 1908 and 225 in 1909. After three years, however, the task of running the school became too great for the Nazarenes, who sold the college for $32,000 to the Methodist Church of Plainview on December 27, 1910. The institution was renamed Seth Ward College and reduced it music emphasis.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Mary L. Cox, History of Hale County, Texas (Plainview, Texas, 1937). Vera D. Wofford, ed., Hale County Facts and Folklore (Lubbock, 1978).

Charles G. Davis

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Charles G. Davis, "CENTRAL PLAINS COLLEGE AND CONSERVATORY OF MUSIC," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbc13), accessed November 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.