CHURCH HILL ACADEMY
CHURCH HILL ACADEMY. Church Hill Academy, at Church Hill, nine miles northeast of Henderson in Rusk County, was a Presbyterian school established by an act of the Texas legislature on February 13, 1854. At that time it was called Church Hill Male and Female Academy. The institution was on land donated on September 2, 1853, by John C. Robertson, John Strong, and Samuel Watson, who were appointed to the board of trustees with Jackson Pryor, Anderson W. Smith, Newell Tullis, and William P. Wright. It was supervised by six Presbyterian ministers and run by John M. Becton. It is thought to have lasted until the Civil War.
Garland Roscoe Farmer, The Realm of Rusk County (Henderson, Texas: Henderson Times, 1951). Dorman H. Winfrey, A History of Rusk County (Waco: Texian, 1961).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Megan Biesele, "CHURCH HILL ACADEMY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbc21), accessed October 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.