CLARKSVILLE ACADEMY. Clarksville Academy opened in Clarksville, Red River County, in 1842 under the management of James Sampson. The coeducational school had separate classrooms for boys and girls and accepted students at elementary, high school, and college levels. The academic year was two sessions of five months each. In addition to such traditional subjects as grammar, history, math, Latin, and Greek, the school offered courses in French and Spanish. Enrollment reached only thirty-six by August 1846, and the school closed in 1847.
Clarksville Northern Standard, December 10, 1842. Blewett Barnes Kerbow, The Early History of Red River County, 1817–1865 (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1936). B. E. Masters, A History of Early Education in Northeast Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1929).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Marie Giles, "CLARKSVILLE ACADEMY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbc24), accessed January 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.