Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

CLEBARRO COLLEGE

CLEBARRO COLLEGE. Clebarro College originated in February 1909 when the Church of Christ in Cleburne invited Allen Booker Barret and Charles H. Roberson, formerly of Southland University, to establish a private school in that town. Several members of the Southland University faculty joined Clebarro College. Barret and Roberson became the owners of the school, which derived its name from Cleburne, Barret, and Roberson. The Cleburne Land Company donated twenty acres between Glen Rose and Granbury for a campus. Funds were sufficient to construct a three-story administration building and, three years later, a women's dormitory. Clebarro College offered elementary and secondary programs and two years of college, after which the students received bachelor's degrees. The new facilities were not ready for the first fall semester, and classes began on September 15 at the home of Judge J. A. Stanford. Sixty students enrolled. In addition to Bible classes, the college had teacher training, a commercial department, a vocal and instrumental music department, and departments of expression, oratory, and physical culture. By 1911–12 additional coursework in philosophy, sociology, political science, and education was offered, and the B.A., B.S., and B.Litt. degrees were conferred. Extracurricular activities at the college included literary societies, a debate club, and a choral club as well as sports for men and women. For a decade Clebarro College had an average enrollment of forty. By the end of World War I, however, the school found it was unable to sustain itself; it closed in the spring of 1919. In 1920 Dr. B. H. Turner purchased the physical plant from the trustees of the Christian Church and converted it into a hospital. The University of Texas never recognized Clebarro College as a standard junior college.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Dudley M. Gordon, The History of Cleburne (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1929). M. Norvel Young, A History of Colleges Established and Conducted by Members of the Churches of Christ (Kansas City: Old Paths Book Club, 1949).

David Minor and Nancy Beck Young

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

David Minor and Nancy Beck Young, "CLEBARRO COLLEGE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbc28), accessed August 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.