COLEGIO ALTAMIRANO. Colegio Altamirano, at Hebbronville, was founded by settlers of Spanish ancestry who wanted their children to learn Spanish culture. Dionicio Peña, Francisco Barrera Guerra, Tomás Barrera, José Ángel Garza, and Ascención Martínez founded the school in 1897. Students, many of whom went on to graduate from Hebbronville public schools, learned art, music, discipline, social graces, and the three Rs. Fiestas were held at the end of each term. The school operated until 1958.
Jovita Gonzalez, "America Invades the Border Towns," Southwest Review 15 (Summer 1930). Hebbronville Chamber of Commerce, Fiftieth Anniversary, Jim Hogg County (Hebbronville, Texas, 1963).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "COLEGIO ALTAMIRANO," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbcpl), accessed December 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.