DALLAS CHRISTIAN COLLEGE
DALLAS CHRISTIAN COLLEGE. Dallas Christian College, a private, four-year coeducational college of the Christian church, is located in Farmers Branch, on a twenty-two-acre campus. In May 1949 forty men met in Dallas at the invitation of Vernon M. Newland to plan the founding of a Bible college that would recruit and train a "Bible-believing, evangelistic ministry." As a result of this meeting, Dallas Christian College opened for classes in 1950, with thirty-four students in facilities shared by Cole Park Christian Church in Dallas. Vernon Newland served as the school's first president. As the student body grew, the college was twice moved to larger locations. The second move, in 1967, was to the present location in Farmers Branch. Between 1974 and 1985, in an attempt to provide both Christian education for younger students and a preparatory program for its entering students, the college operated a twelve-grade school, Heritage Christian Academy, on the campus. The academy closed in 1985. In 1986 the college had an enrollment of 120, a full-time faculty of six, and a part-time faculty of twenty-one. Its library contained approximately 35,000 volumes. The school is approved by the Veterans Administration, the United States Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, and the United States Immigration Service for the enrollment of students eligible for benefits or supervised by these agencies. Dallas Christian College is accredited by the American Association of Bible Colleges. Degrees offered include the bachelor of arts or science in Bible and any of five areas of ministry or four areas of professional studies, bachelor of science in ministry and leadership or management and ethics, and a three-year diploma in Bible and education. Enrollment in the fall of 1998 was 280, with a faculty of thirty-five. John Derry was president.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "DALLAS CHRISTIAN COLLEGE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbd02), accessed December 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.