DELLA PLAIN MALE AND FEMALE INSTITUTE
DELLA PLAIN MALE AND FEMALE INSTITUTE. The idea for a school in Della Plain developed in 1890 with J. R. McLain, a founder and early citizen of this Floyd County community. McLain contacted Rev. B. F. Fronabager in Seymour, and Fronabager came to Della Plain and organized a board of directors for the proposed college. A sum of $500 was raised, and an administration building was built. The school was to provide instruction from elementary through college levels. Courses included English, history, mathematics, various languages, and art. Fronabager was to maintain the institute for five years. He initially hired C. W. Hutcheson and Anna Bedecarrax as assistants. Although the school opened in the fall of 1890, no additional money could be raised. After six months the institute closed and was sold for debts. In the 1890s the building was moved to Floydada on a special wagon that required sixteen oxen to pull. The journey took about seven days. In 1895 the building became a part of the Floydada public school.
Floyd County Historical Museum, History of Floyd County, 1876–1979 (Dallas: Taylor, 1979). Claude V. Hall, Early History of Floyd County (Canyon, Texas: Panhandle-Plains Historical Society, 1947).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "DELLA PLAIN MALE AND FEMALE INSTITUTE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbd09), accessed July 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.