FAYETTEVILLE MALE AND FEMALE ACADEMY
FAYETTEVILLE MALE AND FEMALE ACADEMY. The Fayetteville Male and Female Academy opened on February 6, 1860, as a successor to the Fayetteville Academy; it was housed on the lower floor of the Masonic lodge building in Fayetteville, Fayette County. R. A. Williams and his wife and Mary Haswell offered music classes and primary, secondary, and advanced classes in other subjects; tuition ranged from ten to fifteen dollars and twenty dollars for music. Out-of-town students paid ten dollars a month for board. The school had eighty-eight students in the summer of 1860. In 1861 the forty male students organized a military company and drilled at noon and recess. The Civil War probably brought an end to the school.
Johanna Caroline Walling, Early Education in Fayette County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1941).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."FAYETTEVILLE MALE AND FEMALE ACADEMY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbf03), accessed December 10, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.