FORT WORTH CHRISTIAN COLLEGE
FORT WORTH CHRISTIAN COLLEGE. Fort Worth Christian College, Fort Worth, a private, coeducational junior college of the Church of Christ, offered standard liberal arts courses and a strong Bible program. In 1956 the college obtained a forty-eight-acre campus. On January 21, 1957, a board of trustees was established. A state charter was granted on May 13, and Roy Deaver, first president of the college, began a campaign that produced $254,000 for construction of administration and classroom buildings. The college began classes in the fall of 1959 and expanded annually. Thomas B. Warren was appointed president that year, and during his administration acafeteria-auditorium and a library-classroom building were added. Claude A. Guild succeeded Warren in 1961. Between 1961 and 1964 two dormitories, a president's home, and a gymnasium-auditorium were completed. Enrollment for the 1962–63 year was 100.
By 1965 twelve departments offered work leading to the associate in arts or associate in science degree. All work offered conformed to standards of accreditation agencies. In 1969 the faculty numbered eighteen, and the library holdings reached 13,500 volumes. Enrollment during the 1968–69 regular term was 220. Curtis E. Ramey became president in 1965.
Due to financial difficulties Fort Worth Christian College ceased to exist in 1971 and became a branch of Abilene Christian College (now Abilene Christian University). Thomas A. Shaver was executive dean. Enrollment was 104 during 1970–71, and the faculty numbered fourteen. In 1973 the branch merged with the former Christian College of the Southwest to form the ACC Metrocenter. By 1976 the Metrocenter had become Abilene Christian University in Dallas (now Amber University), and classes were discontinued at the Fort Worth campuses.
Donald W. Whisenhunt, The Encyclopedia of Texas Colleges and Universities (Austin: Eakin, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."FORT WORTH CHRISTIAN COLLEGE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbf05), accessed January 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.