GUADALUPE COLLEGE. On January 30, 1841, Guadalupe College, in Gonzales, was chartered by a group of local trustees including Thomas J. Pilgrim and Benjamin McCulloch. The charter opened the school to students of all religious denominations and provided for scholarships for descendants of defenders of the Alamo. The college was divided into four departments. It charged tuition for five-month sessions. Students in the First Preparatory Department learned spelling, reading, writing, primary geography, and mental arithmetic; tuition was $10. Students in the Second Department learned arithmetic, English grammar, history, and geography; tuition was $12.50. Students in the Third Department learned algebra, natural philosophy, rhetoric, elementary astronomy, and mental and moral philosophy; tuition was $15. Students in the Fourth Department learned geometry, surveying, chemistry, Latin, and Greek; tuition was $20. Supporters of the college abandoned the project to cooperate with the Guadalupe High School Association.
Hans Peter Nielsen Gammel, comp., Laws of Texas, 1822–1897 (10 vols., Austin: Gammel, 1898). Texas State Gazette, December 19, 1850.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Carolyn Hyman, "GUADALUPE COLLEGE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbg17), accessed December 25, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.