INGLESIDE ACADEMY. Ingleside Academy, sometimes called Nold Academy, was founded in 1857 on the bay near the site of present-day Ingleside by Henry Nold and his wife, Elizabeth (Goddin). Nold purchased eighty-nine acres and set out his intention in the deed to "build a two-story school." The curriculum was extensive, as attested by a report card issued to S. A. Menefee, son of John Sutherland Menefee, a plantation owner in Jackson County. The offerings ranged from English grammar to Latin grammar, political economy and plane trigonometry to logic. Students came chiefly from the families of ranchers throughout South Texas who could afford to send their children to a boarding school. Not much is known about the school. Mention of it can be found in the Youngs L. Coleman family history and in the letters of Marcellus and George Turner. Both refer to students boarding at "Nold Academy." Oral tradition relates that the Nold home was one of several on the Ingleside coast that the Yankee soldiers vandalized and destroyed during the Civil War. The last known date of the school's operation was October 2, 1863.
Mrs. Frank DeGarmo, Pathfinders of Texas, 1836–1846 (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1951).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Keith Guthrie, "INGLESIDE ACADEMY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbi09), accessed August 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.