KYLE BAPTIST SEMINARY
KYLE BAPTIST SEMINARY. Kyle Baptist Seminary was established at the instigation of Rev. Z. N. Morrell to provide a Baptist educational institution west of the Colorado River. It was chartered by the San Marcos Baptist Association as Kyle Seminary in November 1884. The town of Kyle agreed to furnish a $5,000 plant and an additional $5,000 in capital. The school, a high school, opened with an enrollment of 230 pupils under the direction of W. M. Jordan. The school's name was changed to Kyle Baptist Seminary in 1889. Though there was no lack of students nor of public support for the school, apparent mismanagement led to mounting debts in the late 1880s. The seminary was closed and the property deeded back to the town of Kyle in 1890 for use as a public school.
Carl Bassett Wilson, History of Baptist Educational Efforts in Texas, 1829–1900 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1934).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.John D. Thompson, "KYLE BAPTIST SEMINARY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbk04), accessed January 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.