LA GRANGE MALE AND FEMALE SEMINARY AND BOARDING SCHOOL
LA GRANGE MALE AND FEMALE SEMINARY AND BOARDING SCHOOL. La Grange Male and Female Seminary and Boarding School, a private, nonsectarian institution, opened at La Grange, Fayette County, in January 1853 with a faculty composed of Charles W. Thomas, S. Cooper, and Louisa M. Glenn. The school's prospectus in the La Grange Texas Monument announced courses in the classics, mathematics, and business, as well as "ornamental branches" for young ladies. Tuition rates for a five-month term ranged from ten to twenty-five dollars. Enrollment increased for the second term, which began on July 4, 1853. The school operated as late as June 1854.
William Franklin Ledlow, History of Protestant Education in Texas (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1926). Johanna Caroline Walling, Early Education in Fayette County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1941). Leonie Rummel Weyand and Houston Wade, An Early History of Fayette County (La Grange, Texas: La Grange Journal, 1936).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."LA GRANGE MALE AND FEMALE SEMINARY AND BOARDING SCHOOL," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbl03), accessed October 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.