LADONIA MALE AND FEMALE INSTITUTE
LADONIA MALE AND FEMALE INSTITUTE. The Ladonia Male and Female Institute was founded in 1860 by the Sister Grove Baptist Association, which comprised seven counties and twenty-three churches. Ladonia, rather than Bonham or Kentucky Town, was chosen as the site because of its offer of a two-story building and more than $2,600 in cash. A. G. Moffett, conductor of a private school in the building, was the first principal; J. C. Averett became principal in 1861. In 1863 the school was moved to Sandy Creek, where it soon closed because of low enrollment. W. B. Featherstone reopened the institution in 1867 and in 1868 returned it to Ladonia. Because of financial reverses it was permanently closed in 1875.
Edward Baxter Featherston, A Pioneer Speaks (Dallas: Baugh, 1940). Carl Bassett Wilson, History of Baptist Educational Efforts in Texas, 1829–1900 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1934).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."LADONIA MALE AND FEMALE INSTITUTE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbl05), accessed January 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.