LAGARTO COLLEGE. The Lagarto College Company was organized by citizens of Lagarto, Texas. It issued elaborate certificates of shares early in the 1880s. Funds raised amounted to $6,000, and a two-story frame building was constructed around 1880. A. G. Heaney, president, opened the school with eight or nine instructors, one from England and another from Washington, D.C. The college was closed for lack of financial support about 1890. T. P. McNeill, a stock holder, purchased the building and moved it to Dinero, Texas.
San Antonio Express, November 18, 1934.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Louise Kelly, "LAGARTO COLLEGE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbl06), accessed December 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.