MARGARET HOUSTON FEMALE COLLEGE
MARGARET HOUSTON FEMALE COLLEGE. Margaret Houston Female College was chartered in 1856 at Daingerfield, within the bounds of the Rehobeth Baptist Association, and named for Margaret M. Lea Houstonqv. The Baptist church at Daingerfield filled vacancies in the fifteen-man board of trustees, approved the president, professors, and teachers, and fixed salaries. The school was probably conducted only for a short time before it was closed for lack of patronage.
Carl Bassett Wilson, History of Baptist Educational Efforts in Texas, 1829–1900 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1934).