MASONIC INSTITUTE OF SAN AUGUSTINE
MASONIC INSTITUTE OF SAN AUGUSTINE. The plan for the Masonic Institute of San Augustine, an early educational institution, was proposed by Red Land Lodge No. 3, and approved by Rising Star Chapter No. 9, Royal Arch Masons, on November 14, 1850. The institute was to be controlled by the two Masonic bodies, with 30 percent of the revenues of these organizations being appropriated for its maintenance. Voluntary subscriptions supplemented that revenue. There were two branches of the school, the Masonic Male Institute and the Masonic Female Institute, each with its own corps of teachers. James T. Thornton was in charge of the Male Institute, and Mary DeCamp officiated over the Female Institute. The school began in September 1851 and operated successfully for ten years.
George L. Crocket, Two Centuries in East Texas (Dallas: Southwest, 1932; facsimile reprod., 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Bruce Blake, "MASONIC INSTITUTE OF SAN AUGUSTINE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbm13), accessed December 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.