MCMULLEN COLLEGE. McMullen College, at Tilden, was opened in 1881 under the direction of John Van Epps Covey. Although not officially sponsored by the Baptists, it was endorsed by that denomination, and a majority of the board of trustees were Baptists. The school operated until about 1897, when the property was deeded to the town to be used as a public school.
Donald W. Whisenhunt, The Encyclopedia of Texas Colleges and Universities (Austin: Eakin, 1986). Carl Bassett Wilson, History of Baptist Educational Efforts in Texas, 1829–1900 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1934).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."MCMULLEN COLLEGE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbm16), accessed January 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.