MILLVILLE MALE AND FEMALE ACADEMY
MILLVILLE MALE AND FEMALE ACADEMY. Millville Male and Female Academy, in Millville, northwest Rusk County, was built on a tract deeded in 1850 for this purpose by early settler Jesse Walling. The school was incorporated for twenty years on January 26, 1858, but it closed in 1861 because of the Civil War. At the end of the war a boarding school was established in Millville for men who had missed school for military service. This school, which turned out to be one of the largest boarding schools in the South, was taught by an Irishman named Murphy. Other early schoolteachers there were M. G. Wright and J. S. King.
Henderson Times, July 4, 1976. Dorman H. Winfrey, A History of Rusk County (Waco: Texian, 1961).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Megan Biesele, "MILLVILLE MALE AND FEMALE ACADEMY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbm27), accessed November 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.