MARSHALL MASONIC FEMALE INSTITUTE
MARSHALL MASONIC FEMALE INSTITUTE. Marshall Masonic Female Institute, in Marshall, originated as the female department of Marshall University, which was chartered by the Republic of Texas on January 18, 1842. In 1850 Marshall Masonic Lodge No. 22 chartered the female institute as a separate school, which by 1853 had fifty-three students and a faculty of five. During its years of operation the institute had five presidents, among whom the longest serving were Thomas B. Wilson (1850–58) and Charles B. Stuart (1874–86). In 1886 the school was absorbed by the Marshall public school system. A state historical marker was placed at the site in 1969.
Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "MARSHALL MASONIC FEMALE INSTITUTE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbm40), accessed December 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.