NORTHWOOD UNIVERSITY. Northwood University, Texas Campus, at Cedar Hill in Dallas County, was established in 1966 as the Northwood Institute and is affiliated with Northwood University in Midland, Michigan, founded in 1959 by Arthur E. Turner and R. Gary Stauffer. The Texas Campus is located on 350 acres eighteen miles southwest of Dallas. Northwood University is a private, coeducational, management-oriented college that emphasizes the principles of the free-enterprise system. It offers associate of arts and bachelor of business administration degrees with majors in such fields as accounting, advertising, business management, fashion marketing, and hotel, restaurant, and resort management. Northwood is a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics. The name was changed to Northwood University in 1993. In fall 1999 Northwood had an enrollment of 1,282 students; 45 percent were female and 55 percent were male.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Matthew Hayes Nall, "NORTHWOOD UNIVERSITY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kbnug), accessed May 21, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.