PARIS FEMALE SEMINARY
PARIS FEMALE SEMINARY. Paris Female Seminary was started in 1853 at Paris, Texas, under an independent board. C. J. Bradley was principal during most of the school's existence. Its original curriculum included metal and moral sciences, physical science, mathematics, and music. In 1856 the faculty numbered five. The school was endorsed by the Cumberland Presbyterian Church as a school of "exceptional educational qualification." The seminary closed during the Civil War, and elementary schools were later conducted in its buildings. After the war another school opened using the same name, but it was a Methodist-affiliated school. The Reverend Jason Graham was its principal. The school eventually was opened to both boys and girls. At one point enrollment stood at 161. The last records for the school were in 1871.
John H. McLean, "Our Early Schools," Texas Methodist Historical Quarterly 2 (July 1910). A. W. Neville, The History of Lamar County, Texas (Paris, Texas: North Texas, 1937; rpt. 1986). Homer S. Thrall, History of Methodism in Texas (Houston: Cushing, 1872; rpt., n.p.: Walsworth, 1976). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin (Martha Weatherred).